Tuesday, May 21, 2013


I added a couple of vents to the back of the cabinet - one at the top and one at the bottom.  I also needed to be able to control the size of the opening.  Here is what I came up with...

I drilled two large holes.

Then I took some of my scrap wood and made these half-moon shapes.

Scrounged up a couple of bolts and drilled some holes.

And drilled some more holes.

And then put it together.

I tightened the nuts just enough to make it somewhat difficult to turn the cover.  Now I can control the amount of smoke in the smoker.

1 comment:

  1. A follow-up here. When I installed these covers I tightened the bolts so that the cover could be turned but was snug enough so that it would stay in whatever position I placed it. I found that during use of the smoker that the heat inside the cabinet caused the bolt to loosen just enough that the cover would swing heavy-end down opening the vent all the way. To fix this I replaced the bolts with longer bolts and added a spring to the inside. The spring would keep constant tension on the cover and prevent it from moving on its own. I believe I have pictures of this and will post them when I find them. Thanks.