Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Dress Rehearsal

First, a few other things I did to the cabinet...

  • Caulked all inside corners with silicon aquarium sealant (it is safe to use in the smoker)
  • Attached thin weather strip around the doors to prevent smoke/heat loss
  • Drilled a tiny hole in the top of the cabinet so that a thermometer could be dropped in

Time to give it a test run.  I wanted to give the cabinet a try but did not want to commit to a long test or one with expensive meats.  My wife found some cheap steak in the freezer and I figured it was worth a try.  I do not know if cheap steak is smoke-able or not but it will be my test.

Here is everything ready to go.  I placed the steak on an old toaster oven tray so that it would not stick to the rack and would be easier to remove when done.  I also have a pan of water to keep everything humid and a pan of chips, some soaked in water.

After a bit over 2 hours I noticed the smoke had quit coming out of the back of the cabinet.  I discovered that all of the chips had burned out and, as I started to add more, I decided to check on the steak.  I cut into it and it looked done so I decided to shut everything down.

I can not say that the steak absorbed a lot of smoke.  It did taste somewhat smokey but not much.  As I said before, I was not sure how it would turn out.  That aside, I call the test a success.  Everything worked as desired and now I am planning my next smoke on some chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment